sp it it Fr Sp UK
You are here: Home / Catch Reports / A Tale Of A Spring 50 – David Gaskin
ccmoore carp baits shop, click here
A Tale Of A Spring 50 – David Gaskin

A Tale Of A Spring 50 – David Gaskin

Rate this post

It was the time of the year when my one 5 day session per season (as opposed to the 72hr per week rule) was due, I had been keeping a close eye on the weather in the hope that the stars would align and I had good weeks forecast ahead. The week leading up to my session was low temperatures with cold winds and consequently the fishing had been slow, fortunately I had picked a good time where the temperatures were rumoured to sneak past 20oc so I couldn’t wait to get down.

I did my usual of getting overexcited, being awake far too early and arriving at the gate well before the 6am curfew. The time soon passed and I was loaded up. I barrowed round to a central swim on the lake as a starting point to see if anyone had got lucky during the night. It was a particularly mild one so a few fish had been out but from near enough all corners of the lake which suggested they were moving around, a lot!

With that in mind I opted for the classic ‘bait n wait’ tactics to halt any carp moving through my swim. I  began by baiting up two areas at around 110 yards range with 4kg using a throwing stick, individually firing out single 18mm Pacific Tuna boilies. Two hours and a couple of blisters later, I had two primed delicious areas fit for a feast of any willing carp. The night was unexpectedly chilly and I wasn’t expecting much action, but as the day wore on conditions vastly improved and at around 4pm I had a stern take on my middle rod which was one of two fished to that particular baited area. It felt a good fish as I coaxed it in and after a few hairy moments under the rod tip, I netted a fine looking mirror. Looking in the net I could see a huge set of shoulders which could only belong to one fish, you guessed it, called ‘shoulders’! This beast was a two man job so I grabbed some help for the weighing and photos, it went 50lb 2oz so I was blown away with that fish as a starter, anything else from the session would be a bonus.

Once he was slipped back I had to re-evaluate my tactics because I was unsure whether the 4 kilos of bait had been eaten or whether the fish just singled out my white Pacific Tuna pop-up in amongst the baited area whilst grazing.

After observing the coots diving in the area I could see they weren’t ravenously getting bait but would get the odd boilie so I decided to top up the swim with a kilo of Tuna rather than pile it in again. The next few days went by very quietly, possibly due to the cold night time temperatures and even a brief frost one morning. Under these circumstances all I could do is watch the birdlife and let them tell me if there is bait out there or not, adopting these tactics I introduced more 18mm baits as and when needed whilst keeping a close eye on what the weather was doing.

It was due to be a really mild night leading up to my final morning so I fired out a final kilo of Pacific Tuna over the same two areas that had been primed for the previous days, the rods were cast out all with 14mm white Tuna pop-ups and I was confident of a potential final morning bobbin bonanza. At 5 o’clock I was away again and my suspicions of it doing a bite in the milder conditions were right, the fish was landed and turned out to be ‘Lumpys Mate’ at 44lb 2oz, now I really was more than happy with my results.

Shortly after returning the old mirror the rod fished on the other baited area was away and resulted in another mirror of 36lb 4oz. Photos done and the rods recast I thought that was it, half an hour after the recast the same rod was away again and after a more lengthy scrap I had one of wellies big ghouls languishing in the net, it was the ‘two-tone’ ghosty at 46lb 8oz. The morning’s conditions were perfect and the baited areas were getting torn up so without hesitation I put on another white Tuna pop-up and cast it back on the dancefloor, I had to be off by noon so started to pack up when the same rod was away again! This was a short and sweet battle ending my session with a very pretty common of 36lb, another red letter session on Pacific Tuna.


Scroll To Top